Newark Student Media

The Buzz

The Buzz

The Buzz

Magic: The Gathering

Magic: The Gathering

MagiKids, a nonprofit charity organization by Weirdcards, has devoted their materials and resources in order to make critical thinking fun for kids all across the U.S. Magic: The Gathering (MTG) offers students the opportunity to spend quality time with friends as they enjoy playing the first ever trading card game.  People go head-to-head as they attempt to win against one another while also trying to make their team stronger. The cards have a variety of different abilities and creatures, including dragons, merfolk, and even zombies. In comparison to other card games, it has a slower pace, which allows players to strategically think of their next move. Phillip, a senior at Newark High, started playing this game two years ago and enjoys the challenging aspects of it. He said, “I got into this game from a friend, and it gave me a chance to talk and play against new people at my local game club.” Since then, he has been able to connect and meet new people while also adapting to the different playstyles of the game. The creators of MTG are the same companies that made Dungeons and Dragons, including Hasbro, Wizards of the Coast, and more. MagiKids has provided schools with the resources to teach young minds how to play. They have sent materials like booster packs, different deck boxes, and card sleeves to encourage students to play along. MagiKids has donated a complete beginners set to the NHS library and students. This organization has been striving to make learning enjoyable for students as they send resources to schools that’ll allow them to connect with their peers while also boosting critical thinking skills in subjects such as math and reading.

If you want to learn to play Magic: The Gathering, we will meet in the library on Wednesday after school starting January 10th. See Mrs. Boyle or Phillip for more information.